Thursday, December 27, 2007

Merry Christmas, I'm an Idiot!

Our Christmas morning started off perfectly. Nate was able to hold the kids off until just before 7 am before the unwrapping frenzy began. Everyone got what they were hoping for and we spent most of the morning getting the presents freed from there fort Knox packaging. The kids played with their new stuff and ate tons of candy while I went back to bed. We were having company over for Christmas dinner, so I had a few things I had to get done before we went to the 1:35 showing of the "Bee Movie" at the dollar theater. I had placed an apple pie on a cookie sheet to bake. It was the kind of cookie sheet with a lip all the way around it. Anyway, the cookie sheet was cold when I put it in the oven therefore - no pot holders. I had to take the pie out to add the crumb crust and did so with the aide of pot holders. I added the topping while telling the kids to get ready to go to the movie -- brain turned off---- picked up cookie sheet----no potholders-----pain receptors turned on too late----extreme pain------Nate's on the phone with parents-----trying not to scream------finished baking the pie, loaded kids in the car, sent Nate upstairs for the burn cream and bandages and he wrapped me up and off to the movies we went! This is what I looked like at the movie theater substituting clothes for jammies.


I had Nate keep filling up a cup with popcorn and I ate it straight from the cup. Have you ever smelled burn cream? Not good! I think people could smell me from a mile away and it didn't do much for the flavor of my popcorn either. We got home and still had work to do for dinner, and I could do nothing but sit on the couch with ice bags on my hands. My hands are covered with some pretty sweet blisters, but I couldn't stand not being able to do anything involving water (I couldn't wash my own face or hair, try using the toilet like that! brushing my teeth with my thumb and ring finger only as well as taking out my contacts, no dishes or cleaning up messes etc...), so today they are off and I am just super careful with my hands. All in all I am fine and the dinner went great- with the exception of the lost pan of funeral potatoes on the garage floor of Jenny's house. I guess what "burns" the most, is knowing that I am an idiot!

1 comment:

Shayla said...

Oh man, Heath, that's awful. That's what you get for being a mom and having your head in too many places at once. :-) I hope they feel better soon. I can't believe you went to the movies anyway and didn't curl up in the fetal position on your bed and feel sorry for yourself all afternoon. Glad Christmas went well otherwise. Sorry I missed your call, I was down for the count on the couch most of Christmas afternoon and evening. Not much of a day for me, but I'm feeling tons better thanks to Nate's script for antibiotics.