Saturday, December 20, 2008

Flyin' Solo Mid-Day

Last week I had finally had enough of waiting for someone to see Twilight with me so I went by my lonesome in the middle of the day. I dropped Jordyn off at school and booked it on over to the theater. It started out with just me and 3 other lonesome people one of which was an old man snoring. Yes, snoring. When the lights went down and the previews started I thought surely that would wake him from his matinee slumber but he just continued to saw logs....very loudly. In the mean time a retired couple came in and sat in the same isle as Mr. Snooze and then 2 guys came in and sat behind me. By this time I was really starting to stress about the situation I had in front of me. Was Mr. Snooze show hopping and really just wanted to sleep or did he really want to see this teenybopper vampire movie in which case he would be really bummed to discover that he missed anything. How would I wake this guy? Kick his seat? Tap him on the shoulder? What to do, what to do?! Also, I was mostly worried about my own enjoyment factor with his seat rumbling but luckily as soon as the movie started he magically popped into awareness looked around for a moment, as if to recall to his brain where he was, and away we went into the magical land of teenage vampire love.

I had extremely low expectations for this film. I knew that the cheese factor would be pretty high and I knew that I wasn't fond of the casting. I also heard from my nieces that the soundtrack sucked and that Edward's lullaby was creepy. OK, time for true confessions....I really didn't mind the movie and I really liked the soundtrack. What does this say about me? I will say that I never really liked Edward......at least for myself....but he did work for Bella, so that worked for me. Jasper was just plain creepy but I liked everyone else fine--with the exception of some bad acting moments. I would also have to say that my love for the books filled in any gaps the film left for me and when it got too cheesy I reflected on the book and it made it better. I am hoping that with the new director for the next film they are able to get it right and Edward (whatever the actors name is) works on his flirting skills because that was a major element in the book and he just didn't cut it. He did have intense down and saying things with his eyes so I will give him that. Anyway........should I be worried about my mental state? I think I am more worried about the mental state of the 2 guys sitting behind me. What the heck were they doing in this movie????? It was really killing me not to ask them and if I had more guts I would have. I'm a big fat chicken! It would have been way more fun to have seen it with someone but sometimes you just have to fly solo. Oh, I almost forgot...... A few days later Nate and I finally got around to watching 24 Redemption and I said "who needs a vampire when you've got Jack Bauer!" Can you say hhhhhooooooottttttt?!

No comments: