Tuesday, December 14, 2010

This is the Story of my Toes.... Part 1

!!!!!Warning!!!!!
If you are skeeved out by feet, don't look! The title should have been a dead giveaway though!

After 16 years of being married to a Podiatrist I am finally getting my toes fixed.....By another Dr in town. Seriously, you never cut on family! Just a standard rule in case something goes wrong you don't have to spend the rest of your life hating them. :) I was born with these lovely toes. The legend that was perpetuated in my family to explain away the freekness of my toes was that I walked on my toes all the time. I was in fact always on my toes and rarely did my heels touch the ground. But that was not the cause of the curled toes, although it makes for a good story. I managed to also pass along these gems to my 11 year old son. So, I'm gonna see how fixing them goes and then eventually get Jdogs fixed too.


The big day is this Friday morning.... I figured that I would just go ahead and ruin Christmas this year. Actually, it was just the best time to do it and I'm pretty sure the kids will recover. Anyway, The last joint in 3 of my toes on the right foot and 3 on left will be taken out. I will also loose around half of the bone behind that joint and then with a smiley face incision my toe will be brought up to where it should be. No pins, just the closing incision. If you are wondering if I will have a floppy toes, nope. Sound like loads of fun, doesn't it. The crazy thing is that I am doing both feet at the same time, so getting around should be pretty interesting, especially since I will be hopped up on some pretty heavy drugs. Yea, for drugs! Maybe I will finally be able to use the phrase: help, I've fallen and I can't get up! lol

I will post part 2 of my sausage toes with all their gnarly stitches sometime next week. That will be when I start wondering if I will ever NOT look like a freak, luckily the drugs should keep me from thinking about it too much. Hopefully they end up looking better than they do now and most importantly fit into shoes better because I get blisters on the tops of my toes whenever I wear closed shoes. My toes will end up being kinda short, but at least you will be able to tell that I have toenails. So, if they end up looking bad, start practicing the lies you will be telling me when I ask how they look....and be sure to be creative! :)

1 comment:

Pam Jorgensen said...

Hey Heather!

Are those considered "hammer toes"? Chase has some gnarly hammer toes but the doc won't fix them till he's all growed up. I'm really interested in how this goes!

Merry Christmas! (hopefully...with drugs)