Here's a summery excerpt from LDS.org:
President Nelson said he and his counselors in the First Presidency, President Dallin H. Oaks and President Henry B. Eyring, chose to broadcast from the temple to emphasize their wish for members to be “endowed with power in a house of the Lord, sealed as families—faithful to covenants made in a temple,” which are key to “strengthening your life, your marriage and family, and your ability to resist the attacks of the adversary. Your worship in the temple and your service there for your ancestors will bless you with increased personal revelation and peace and will fortify your commitment to stay on the covenant path,” he said.
Urging members to “keep on the covenant path,” President Nelson said, “Your commitment to follow the Savior by making covenants with Him and then keeping those covenants will open the door to every spiritual blessing and privilege available to women, men, and children everywhere,” he said.
Expressing thanks for parents who are serious about their commitment to righteous, intentional parenting,” President Nelson shared how a 4-year-old boy named Benson prayed that as the prophet he would “be brave and not scared that he’s new, and help him to grow up to be healthy and strong.”
He said he was thankful for every parent, teacher, and member who carries heavy burdens and yet serves so willingly.
That definitely reaffirmed to me that I had been in exactly the right place. What a cool little experience I was blessed to have.
Also from president Oaks was this statement from lds.org
Expressing his support for President Nelson, President Oaks said, “With all my heart I pledge my loyalty and support for President Nelson’s loving and inspired leadership.I rejoice in the opportunity to give my full efforts to bear witness of Jesus Christ and to proclaim the truth of His restored gospel.”
I was especially happy to see him in the presidency along with another of my favorites, president Eyring. If I had been writing back during last general conference I would have talked about then elder Oaks talk called "The Plan and the Proclamation." I have been using that talk a ton. Here's what I think of it- with a meme:
After he gave that talk even Deseret News was slamming it and all the ex-mos came out of the woodwork and bashed it. I'm pretty sure it wins the title of most hated talk from Oct general conference. President Oaks is next in seniority for being the prophet and President Nelson is 93- a very young 93, but still 93. I wonder if president Oaks will be talked about the way president Benson is about his politics and how we don't have to follow what he said yada yada blah blah. It's scary and ridiculous the way people pick and choose which apostles and prophets to listen to and I feel like everything they don't agree with they attribute them to the words of the man not the words of God. They take a true principle about speaking on behalf of ones self and the Lord and exaggerate it to fit their own narrative. I love president Oaks and would give away all that I had to be standing next to him in this. He's got mad courage in my book. Anyone who thinks the apostles have extra courage because of their callings is partially right, but in the end they are men who have weaknesses and I'm sure it was scary to give the talk he did considering the social climate we live in that has even permeated the church climate. Many members are getting lost along the way because of hard doctrine like found in the Family Proclamation. For me it is a bench mark. Are you with the apostles or are you not. It's something that if you don't have a testimony of, you need to get one. I've taught lessons on the talk a couple of times and I'm sure I will bring it up again because it's that important. For me, if you have a problem with this talk it stems from a lack of understanding or belief in the Plan of Salvation. Heavenly Father wanted all his children saved, therefor a plan was formed for that. THE plan. For salvation - and exaltation. Everything ties back to THE PLAN.
I'm so grateful for living prophets and apostles and the opportunity I have to receive revelation that what they say is as if God himself were speaking. It's my opportunity to move in the direction of the apostles and prophets and not in my own direction or the direction of the world. There have been times where I've really needed to figure out where I stand on counsel from them that I wasn't sure I agreed with and through wrestling with the Lord and studying it out and being patient I've always come around. It's not easy, but we are being strengthened at that process isn't easy nor was it designed to be.


No comments:
Post a Comment