Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tempting Fate


I was standing in line at the "stuff mart" like I do every time I am there and for some reason this time the bag of Funyuns called to me. I have seen them there before and just ignored them but this time I thought "when is the last time I actually had me some funyuns?" I think that the last time I had funyuns was on that fateful summer day in Washington. I had awakened pretty early that morning with the feeling that I should take a pregnancy test. Nathan at the time was spending his weeks in Tacoma and coming to Longview where I was staying with his family and our daughter. I needed someone to tell the news to when 2 lines appeared on the test which eventually produced our 2nd child Jared. I decided to wake up my sister-in-law, Shayla, and tell her the news. The details of that entire year are a bit hazy but especially that day. I believe it was on a Friday and Nathan was going to be home that evening. Shayla and I must have decided to paint our toenails and eat an entire bag of Funyuns but I don't remember the act itself just the knowledge that it happened. There was a family reunion in Utah and for some reason we needed to help her brother get a car back to Utah and pick it up at his mother-in-law's house for him. We headed out in my Mother-in-law's car with me driving to pick up the car. We were at the street we needed to turn down to get to the house when we were hit from behind at full speed sending our car flying down the street. To make a long story short the Firefighter that arrived on the scene thought it would be a good idea to go to the hospital and get checked out which meant strapping us to stretchers and carrying us into an ambulance. The only thing I could think of was my seriously hideous funyun breath (as well as the fact that my husband's Mother's car was in really bad shape) and the fact that EMT, who was not bad looking, was seriously close to my face. I'm pretty sure I warned him because he was laughing and made some comment about how cute it was that Shayla and I had matching toe nails. They were also treating me like a fine piece of china because I told them I was pregnant. The rest of the experience was horrible especially when Nate saw me at the hospital still strapped to the stretcher. The next day we laid in bed watching movies all day, because the cable was out, and eating nasty fast food. We were so desperate for entertainment that we tried to watch Spice World. Pretty sad indeed. Anyway, I wondered to myself as I saw that bag tempting me at the checkout if I had some kind of superstition with the poor funyuns and that was why I hadn't had them since. So I decided to tempt fate and open the bag and eat them while driving home and I made it there in one piece. I also realized that I probably haven't had them again since because your mouth is seriously foul forever after eating those things!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ahhh... Good times! Glad you made it home safely! P.S. I was reading your post and had to stop halfway through to go help Cade and came back to Noah staring intently at your slide show. He turned around with the saddest look in his eyes and said, "I miss my friends!" He asked if we could go see you guys tomorrow and still doesn't get the whole distance thing. We miss you!

Shayla said...

Wow, I totally forgot that the cable was out the next day and that we watched Spice Girls. That was one scary car accident. I think Nate was the sweetest of all, he was so overwhelmed with fear for his pregnant wife. And I totally forgot that I was the first to hear the pregnancy news, I must be pretty awesome. :-) Oh, and now I need me some funyuns now, thanks!