Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Family History Tour- Getting Ready

I'm getting ready for my family history adventure in Pennsylvania. The cousin that I met through the DNA test sent me some photographs of my great grandfather and great great grandmother. When I got the photos I knew for sure I needed to go out and visit. I'm looking forward to meeting relatives and seeing where my ancestors lived. I'm going to try and write as I go in my note account and then I'll have everything ready to go and post when I get home. 

When I decided to go I had to get over my social anxiety and put it out there to my cousin something removed and his mom (Donna) that I wanted to come out for a visit. I then needed to see if they were willing to cart me around to all the cool places and sit and talk with me about our family. Luckily they said yes and I was off to making plans. They are going above and beyond to welcome my dad and I and make this a trip to remember. My the mom is even going so far as to contact my dad's half sisters whom they aren't even related to so that we can see them as well. 

It was time to start making the dream a reality and I knew when I decided to go that I needed to see if my Dad wanted to go too - he did. It was a logistical nightmare trying to get both of us arriving and departing at the same time because we are coming from 2 different states, but I finally got it all figured out. My Dad's cousin Donna has been such a resource and I feel beyond blessed. 


My sweet husband knew I needed something to scan photos and documents with so he went online and figured out what kind of scanner to get me and ordered it. He then instructed Jared to teach me how to use it. We practiced with it today and I've gotta say, it's pretty freakin awesome. Technology is so cool. It is going to become my new best friend while I'm there. I'm also going to see about using a family history app that lets you record stories and upload them to your family search account. Won't that be fun to have my relatives voices archived for everyone on my tree to hear anytime they want? 
Let the journey begin!

No comments: