The title of this post brings my memory back to a post I called "Merry Christmas, I'm an idiot" I can't remember how many years ago it was but I know we were living in our old house, so I'm guessing 2007 or 2008.
I've been super tired the last few days and feeling like all my life ambitions have been tossed in the toilet. I went out with my husband and some friends last night for dinner and was having a hard time staying awake. I slept in until 7 am so why I was so tired was a mystery to me. Nate and I sat in the car in the garage talking for awhile when we got home. It reminded me of when we were dating. Anyway I was singing my sad song of being done. I had no advice for him regarding our future for his practice....which I am never without advice. I had no will to do anything other than waste my life away in my bed watching "Arrow." I'm dead serious. I had no inspiration regarding anything in my life. How to help my son. How to help my husband. How to help my seminary students. How to help my daughter. What to do about some other relatives. How to survive this country. Zip. Zero. Nada.
My husband is never phased by my defeatist attitude. He jokes about handing me a pie and leaving me on the preverbal side of the pioneer trail to await death. He teased me about trying to stay in bed for a week watching a tv show. Bless his sweet heart, he doesn't think I have it in me. I'm pretty sure I do. I had just spent 2 days watching like 6 episodes. I was already almost there! The thing was I couldn't figure out why I was feeling so tired and low......Until this morning. (little late on posting- now it's a day later...ok 2 days later because it never posted to the blog like it was supposed to)
Truth be told, I was slipping before this little mix up. All it did was put a magnifying glass onto something that was already brewing. I'm the reason we turned off the tv service a couple of years ago. I didn't like how it sucked me and the kids in. I started only allowing myself 1 hour a day and I kept that up for nearly 2 years. Well, I haven't been feeling well lately and so I started watching more tv and then around Saturday I started having a hard time talking myself into doing much of anything. When I woke up this morning I had a hard time focusing my eyes and I was pretty dizzy. I wondered how it was that I could be so tired yet again. I slept until almost 7 so why was I so tired?
I decided to force myself downstairs and to stay down there and not return to the deliciousness of my bed. What did I do while downstairs? Duh. I turned on Arrow. I got up to take my plethora of vitamins and minerals that is supposed to help with various problems. One of which is chronic inflammation. I started taking a supplement derived from pineapples called bromelain to see if that would help - it does a little. Well, the problems is that Jared has not been sleeping so I bought him some melatonin. Can you see the problem yet?
Even worse than the bottles looking the same, the pills do too. As I'm stumbling around the kitchen gathering up all my breakfast supplies I walked back past the open cupboard that contains all the pills. I noticed that there was still an orange bottle in the cupboard. And then it hit me. What did I already have sitting on the kitchen counter?! For the love of pete! I had been taking melatonin a couple times a day for the last few days. No wonder I feel so gloomy and doomy!
When Nate got home from shooting with a couple of friends this morning I told him of my discovery. I can't believe I did this to myself. I can hardly see straight today and every time I bend over I get a wicked case of vertigo. I'm am so tired and I've got to pull it together enough to go to a friends house for thanksgiving dinner. My husband thinks I'm pretty hilarious. I'm not so sure -I just need a nap!
I decided that I needed some fresh air and a good walk to wake me up. Watson was cracking me up with his little dog syndrome walking with the big dogs in his sissy sweater. Too hilarious!
Surprisingly enough I was able to move my body out of the recliner and away from tv long enough to make my 1 and only contribution to the bounteous feast this year. Truth be told I was looking forward to not celebrating this year. I wanted to opt out entirely. I make dinner every year and I decided that I didn't want to this year. I just wanted to go into hiding. Nate was all over the decision and called and made reservations at a restaurant for us. It was a quickly extinguished dream and we decided not to be hermits and spend it with friends. I bought some costco pies and made Nate's families traditional monkey bread recipe.
Jordyn loves to cook so she helped me out by cutting out all the biscuits. I guess my attempts to be lame will have to be saved for another day. It took extra patience to let her help when I was so tired and didn't want the extra work, but look how adorable she is. I couldn't let her down.
While I'm grateful that there is nothing seriously wrong with me other than a pill mixup, I'm still pretty upset that I've managed to ruin my thanksgiving by being in a near coma state. My eyes are half closed now.
I love how the Lord looks out for me even when I'm being a ding dong. I found an article that addressed one of my problems I was talking to Nate about the night before. The title of the article alone made me laugh. There was also a funny little video I found online from Glenn B talking about the string of bad luck they were having. It made me laugh because of all the times I've been in the same situation and have been like- enough already!
This Thanksgiving I'm grateful that I have a family that puts up with my moody behaviors and bouts of laziness. I'm grateful for friends that don't allow me to be a hermit and I'm grateful for others struggles that helps me to know that I'm not alone. I'm also super grateful that I finally discovered the source of my problem and was able to fix it.


No comments:
Post a Comment