This past week we learned that a dear friend and father figure to Nathan had passed. This was not a surprise passing but still sorrowful for those left behind. The quote used on the program was "to take the sorrow out of death would be to take the love out of life." Nathan's ex-buisness partner's Dad (but not ex-ed from our lives) Lorraine Brady passed at the tender age of 81. He had been having health problems for a few years now and each time the boys and Nate went hunting they would say their goodbyes to him just in case it was their last visit. I always find it a bit sad that it is in the moments after our loved ones are no longer with us that we express what they have meant to our lives and the example they have been. I know we shouldn't be defined by what others think of us, but in a world filled with so much negative it is nice to hear the good. I always come away from a funeral with a new resolve to live a better and more meaningful life.... which I guess is the purpose of the tribute. To remind us that life is short and we better make the most of it while we can. I told Nate that I wanted my funeral to be 30 minutes max and he didn't really need to have one, he could just have a high five line where everyone could walk by and congratulate him on being lucky enough to have been married me for as long as he was. heehee. I was also made aware of another desire I didn't know to have for my own funeral arrangements. A pine box casket. Dude, I absolutely loved it. I have always joked about not wasting money on a casket for me and just throwing me in a pine box. This is the real deal people. The most beautiful pine box. I want one. Lorraine was also a sheep farmer so I loved the sheep flower arrangement. The other thing I loved was his hat and belt in the flower arrangement and when the family placed their flowers on the casket one of his son's put his Chapstick on there because he always had some on him. Can I also just say the the drive from Spanish Fork to Mt Pleasant is the most serene, peaceful and stunning drive. It makes you want to chuck everything and live in the middle of nowhere.
On our way there I saw this cute little white church that looked like I could see a pioneer walking up to it and going to church today. When we got close enough to see the sign, sure enough it was LDS. It was in the middle of nowhere where there were a few homes cut into the side of the mountain next to a ,I think, granite or some sort of stone mine. We got to also spend lots of time with Nate's parents and his brother. We got to talk about family history with his parents and asked his Dad to put some stories together for when they come. Dad is such an amazing and captivating story teller and there is some amazing stories from Nate's line. One of which is the story of W W Phelps who is a direct descendant. I am going to record him telling the stories and then give it to the rest of the family. It will be so fun. The kids also need some stories for the Trek so this will come in handy. Although I will probably make one of my kids bring stuff about me since I am the "pioneer" on my side of the family. We also had such a great visit with Ja and his family. The kids are easily bribable with our electronics, although as hard as Nate tried to get Ty to call him his favorite uncle, Ty wouldn't do it.
We also got to spend a few hours in downtown SLC on Saturday. I had forgotten how absolutely stunning Utah can be. It made me want to weep it was so beautiful. Hey, Jack! I live in the desert, you would weep too! I can never have too many pics of the temple. There is always something new to see or a new perspective to capture. It actually made me sad to leave this time. I must be loosing it or something because I am one of the ones who bad mouths Utah and the crazy self absorbed, over done up, body obsessed town....but there are a lot of amazing people that live there too. Everywhere has it's set of challenges, so my heart softened for all the good and beauty that lives there in Zion....remember, I was about weeping. There was also so much yummy food to consume while we were there. I loose all self control while I am there and have to eat like I will never get to eat like that again...well, because I won't. Remember I live in the biggest small town in the US. Aside from green chili, we got nothin else!
On Sunday morning when I woke up in our hotel room a block from the Temple I had a song stuck in my head. "Each life that touches ours for good." I had been thinking of Lorraine, my friends from high school that had such a life changing impact on me, the wonderful people I surround myself with now and the amazing new friends we met while on our family history adventure. Each life that touches ours for good really does reflect thine own great mercy Lord. I love all 4 verses of that song and it is still stuck in my head today. If you need to be reminded of the gifts that God has given you, start with your friends and the blessing they are in your life. If you can't think of a friend that has been a blessing then you can be that for someone and your eyes will be opened to the many blessings that our Father in Heaven has for you.
One final quote that was not credited from the funeral program.
Miss Me ~ But Let Me Go
When I come to the end of the road, and the sun has set for me, I want no rites in a gloom-filled room, why cry for a soul set free! Miss me a little -but not for long. And not with your head bowed low. Remember the love that we once shared, Miss me-but let me go. For this journey we all must take, and each time must go alone. It's all a part of the master plan, a step on the road to home. When you are lonely and sick at heart, go to the friends we know. And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds. Miss me- but let me go.




No comments:
Post a Comment