Friday, July 12, 2013

The many adventures of yesterday

Yesterday was my 2nd day as a volunteer in the Albuquerque Temple.  I said a prayer before I left that they would remember that I was coming this time and that I could be sensitive to the needs of the patrons.  Before I left I had 2 thoughts.  The first one was that I should bring the female names that I did initiatories for while in Utah in case there was an opportunity for me to do a session.  What did I do?  I blew the thought off.  I had the thought more than once and each time I talked myself out of bringing my names because I didn't think I would get the opportunity.  The second thought I had was when I picked up my perfume bottle and spritzed myself.  I thought, maybe I shouldn't put this on.  I've heard some people are allergic to perfume and so wearing it in the temple probably wasn't a good idea.  What did I do? Decided that I always wear it and have never had a problem (I'm there a lot) and so maybe I'll just put a little on.  

Well, wouldn't you know that I wasn't on the schedule yet again, so I was given the schedule of another volunteer that hadn't showed up yet.  Everyone still treats you a bit weird for being a volunteer but at this point I've come to expect it and just roll with it.  What did my schedule say on it?  That I was doing an endowment session. The last time I worked I didn't do an endowment session.  Why didn't I listen to the several prompts to bring a family name? Major disappointment in myself. 

Next, I ran into a dear old friend and got to catch up with her.  I'm so glad I did because after living here for 21 years her husband was laid off work so they are trying to sell their home and move to Utah.  She was Emma's first piano teacher and I had her daughter, who is now in her 20's, in yw.  So fun to see her.

While I was greeting people entering the front door I got to run into our stake patriarch.  He had just been talking to our yw the night before about patriarchal blessings.  He is such a cute sweet man and I had a great time talking to him and his wife.

On my way into the endowment session I ran into a lady that I used to visit teach when I first moved into the ward.  Things were going great until she asked me how I liked being married to a bishop.  She thought I was Sister S, the new bishop's wife.  We get mistaken for each other everywhere.  We think it is hilarious and usually just roll with it until something needs clearing up to avoid awkwardness.  There is no one else I would rather be mistaken for, Sister S is awesome and I take it as the highest compliment!

When we walked into the endowment room and took our seats, I was sitting in the second to last row.  Which, by the way, was amazing because we never have that many patrons in a session.  We have a very small attended temple- especially after what I just experienced in the Timpanogos temple.  The lady sitting behind me taps me on the shoulder and says "excuse me, are you wearing perfume?" Are you serious.  Are you kidding me?  A sheepish "yes" was my response.  To which she replied "ok, I've got to leave."  How could I have messed up this bad all in one day?  I was trying to figure out if I should get up and go tell her that I would leave or just let her leave.  There were still seats in the front (we like to spread out) so I felt she could have stayed if she wanted to.  I was also sitting next to a little old native american lady that hardly spoke english (it was just the 2 of us in our row).  I felt like she was going to need a fair amount of help and I didn't feel right about abandoning her, so I just stayed put and mentally punished myself through the session for not listening to the prompting to not put on perfume.  The lady next to me did need a lot of help so I was glad that I was able to be there for her.  

While at the temple you've got a lot of time to sit and read scriptures.  I decided to read in the Doctrine and Covenants yesterday and got an answer to something I was talking about with my husband the night before.  I had written about 3 major experiences that I had before I was 20 where I knew God was there and taking care of me that I was going to post here.  He didn't think it was something that I should share and that by sharing it in such a way I was diminishing the sacredness of it.  I highly respect my husband and look to him for all things spiritual so I went with what he said although not entirely sure I agreed.  As I was reading in D&C 6 I came across Verse 10 and knew those words were meant for me "Behold thou has a gift, and blessed art thou because of thy gift.  Remember it is sacred and cometh from above."  and then in 12 " make not thy gift known unto any save it be those who are of thy faith.  Trifle not with sacred things."  What are the odds I would come across that just after a conversation about that the night before?  I'm glad I've got a husband I can turn to for advice that I know is always good and in my best interest.  He totally got some major backing on that advice and I was schooled yet again. :)  So, that "post" is written somewhere else and if you know me personally I'm happy to share it because they are pretty cool, life shaping events that make up the rock my testimony is built on. 

I've really got to do a better job of listening.  I guess I never would have known that someone was allergic to perfume if I had not put any on that day so I would have never known about that prompting.  So random!  Sometimes you've got to fail, to learn.  And fail I did.  I feel like I generally do a pretty good job of just listening and not questioning, but I learned yesterday that I still need a lot of work in that area.  And now forever the words expressing that my husband was right are in a bold declaration for all the world to see…..he's feeling pretty vindicated right now :0)

No comments: