Where could I possibly be going with a title like that? Lots of places, that's where. While I was searching through pictures to put together a slide show for Jared's Eagle court of honor that is coming up on saturday, I came across this super cute picture of Emma. Later that day Emma was turning on all her charm to convince me that giving her her own room for her birthday was the best idea ever. She even drew up a floor plan to solve all the problems that she could foresee me having. I told her that the way she was charming me reminded me of the picture I found. I told her that maybe I would consider a new room if she did one of those ridiculous reenactment photos that are popular on the internet.
Poor girl thought entertaining me would really up her chances of me saying yes to her own room. She's still holding onto the dream even though I reminded her why we decided to move her in with her sister in the first place. This brought up an all night debate on the merits of your own room and the unfairness of Jared never getting his own room except for the 6 months that he did.
We ended the discussion by me saying that I wanted my own house so that everyone would leave my stuff alone....I think my point was lost on my children, but I was highly entertained by the reenactment photo.
We also went to the 5th grade play. This is my 3rd time seeing this thing, but each kid needs to feel loved and special so I sat thru it again. It is a celebration of the United States. Actually, in a world that is increasingly of the opinion that being american and proud is somehow hateful, I was happy to go support something celebratory. The funniest thing about the night was the grandparents sitting in front of us. The grandmother asked her grandson if they still say the pledge of allegiance in school, thankfully he looked at her like she was an alien and said that they did. Then when they sang "50 nifty United States" the grandfather said "according to O__ it's 52" and then he snorted. It was highly entertaining.
I am proud to say that we thanked our service men 2 times during the night and even had a moment of silence. We all said the pledge.....although I was a bit sad to see so many hats on and hands not on hearts....and we sang America the beautiful.
Ethan got to play a Union soldier, this is also the part Jared played when he was in 5th grade. Emma was a flapper girl when she was in it. The music teacher did spice it up this year and add a song about Hawaii with ukuleles. The musical is narration about our country with little musical/dance numbers from different areas of our culture. So there were square dancers, the civil war reenactment/dance, baseball players, african music, flapper dancers, ukulele players, and I think that was all. Can't wait for next year when Jordyn is in it ;)
When we got home from the play....which I made the entire family go to -not only because it was FHE, but also to show support - it was time to do chores. Jared decided he hated his messy family and didn't want to clean up after everyone. He called everyone into the kitchen and had a talk about what things are appropriate for being in the kitchen. He was quite passionate about it. I wish I would have had it on video - I have been saying that a lot lately because my kids are seriously entertaining. Jared keeps telling me that he needs to just get me a go pro because he will never reenact things for me. Once the moment is gone, it's gone and it's too bad for me -is what he is always telling me. I did get some pics though. I also managed to talk him into mopping the floor.....after he walked off in a huff and I had to chase him down and give him a good dose of hug therapy. While he was mopping the floor, Nate and I sat in the hot tub and watched. hahaha sometimes being a parent is so much fun. Nate asked how in the world I managed to get him to mop the floor because my telling him that it was skills he would need for wooing girls and going on a mission and living on his own AND wooing girls didn't work on him. I might have maybe issued a challenge that he couldn't possibly be as smart as me and figure out how to mop the entire downstairs without getting trapped or having to walk back over a wet floor. Well, challenge was accepted and I was off to the hot tub with Nate - which was there perfect vantage point to watch him work, and I may or may not have giggled when the dog ran across the wet floor and he got mad.
I am just a few weeks away from being 41. Yikers. With old age comes a new test I have to subject myself to every year. It's called a mammogram. I had heard all the stories of such adventures and finally got to have myself my very own, and NO I don't have any pictures of that! hahaha
I went in yesterday and I found out that it really wasn't that bad of an experience. I was a little nervous because I don't have all that much to try and squish between 2 plates. After the first side was done and the technician asked how I was doing, I said "easy peasy lemon squeezy." Get it. "Squeezy" my lemon sized (like costco sized lemon, but lemon no less) tissue was being squeezed. She thought it was pretty funny. Which is good because it's not like the entire process was awkward or anything. She at least had gloves on while I was being stripped of my dignity. Good times.
The adventure continues. I got a call this morning saying that they needed to have another look. Only this time I had to go to their main place where they had more resources. It was fine because I was already on that side of town going to a session at the temple. The only problem was that I mistakenly decided to wear a dress instead of a skirt. When I went to put the fancy exam shirt on the escort stopped and looked at me funny. She said, "is that a dress?" My initial reaction was to say duh until I realized that the duh should be being said to me. I was either going to have to get completely naked or find a way to wear my dress like a skirt. Luckily I at least chose a dress that was stretch enough so that I could just pull my arms out and let the top fall around my waist. You seriously aren't allowed any dignity at such appointments. As an added little treat, this time the lady was not wearing gloves while man handling me - I feel like we know each other pretty well now. I had to have 3 different angles taken instead of the 2 I had the previous day. Then I got to wait for radiology to have a look. They had a look and said that I needed an ultrasound so I got to have that next which was actually probably more unpleasant that being squished. Then I got to wait for the dr to give me the news. I wasn't nervous about anything until I started getting shuffled around and I started thinking that perhaps maybe I should be feeling nervous. Luckily I had gone to the temple with a friend and she went with me after so it was comforting knowing that she was there in the waiting room for me. The good news is that all is well. Just a little hamartoma with a fibroadenoma inside of that. We just need to do another test in 6 months.
While I was sitting there and wondering if I needed to be nervous, I just thought that with all the other physical/health problems I'm dealing with right now, it would totally fit in. Why not just pile another thing on, it seems to be my forte. The friend that I was with has a lot of physical problems as well and we could laugh about how broken our bodies are together.
The funniest thing happened tonight when I was going over the worst and best parts of the day with the kids. I told them that having the mammogram was not fun and my worst part of the day. Ethan made the mistake of asking what a mammogram was. Jared tried to help by saying "it's just stuff, leave it at that." I, of course, told him exactly what it was. He then proceeded to curl up in a ball on the floor and began rocking and then said in a very dramatic fashion "oh my gosh, I'm scarred for life." "Asking that question was the worst part of my day." Emma made it worse by asking more specific questions which led me to hand gestures and her being horrified and then Jared said, "you should have just said 'stuff'" Hilarious!




No comments:
Post a Comment