For FHE last night we finished taking down our old trampoline and put together a new one. The old one has been through several repairs and too many things were broken on it to try and fix it once more, so we got a new one. Taking apart the old one was pretty easy and Jared and Ethan did most of the work except for the ring that the mat attaches to. Jared and I had a nice little debate on whether or not it could be taken apart or if the only way was with a metal saw. I insisted that it could be taken apart. He got a sledge hammer to try and break it apart and I told him that he just needed to use it to knock the pieces loose so they would come apart. I also told him that we needed to flip the ring over so we could use some of the little posts to have a surface to hit so the pieces would come apart. He didn't think we could get the ring flipped over because it was too big and heavy and he still didn't believe that hitting those pieces would allow the ring to come apart. I wish I would have thought to take pictures. When that first piece got knocked loose and it was evident that we were going to get the entire thing taken apart, I couldn't help but gloat to mr smarty pants. I couldn't get him to admit that I was smart and an awesome problem solver and had a better understanding of the applied sciences than he does - he refused. I know I shouldn't take such pleasure in being right, but I'll get that kid to admit that I'm smart if it's the last thing I do!
Our family working together as a team is less than angelic. There is lots of arguing and contention and I usually break out into "love at home." haha We got the new trampoline put together and after some argument, Emma and I got the safety net secured to the trampoline. It was really hard on my back and I was having a hard time finding a comfortable position to do all that "sewing," so I unbuttoned my pants because they were digging into my gut. Well, when I finished I was too lazy to re-button them and because of that my pants started to fall off. This is when Emma let all the hashtags come flying out. #mostfrustratingFHEever!, #Icanseeyourgarments!, #thatissogross, #Iamabouttoseeyourbutt, #seriouslycanthandlethat............ok I can tell I have never used a hashtag in my life because I kept putting spaces between my words and had to fix every single one of those.
When we got up to the mb to read scriptures and say prayers, Emma whipped out her cute look to once again plead for her own room. She even makes sound effects with her cute poses, this one came with a "ting" and a "so, can I have my own room?" Nice try!
This somehow led to how Ethan is the most unloved child because whenever we need to stay in a hotel, he is the one that has to sleep on a chair or the floor. He is mr johnny on the spot when it comes to being able to produce tears for his cause and he did not disappoint. He kept saying how he was so unloved and pretty soon he was going to get kicked out of the house and sleeping outside and he was never, ever, ever going to get his own room and life was the most unfair, ever! I told him to come sit on my lap and I would sing him a comforting song. I sang "rock-a-by-baby" which led us to examine the words of the song and realized that they weren't comforting at all.
All the problems with us working together as a family without killing each other and my kids always crying about how unfair I am and their life is, reminded me of why I got a dog. My dog loves me and thinks I'm fair and awesome- that's Jordyn sprawled out on the floor next to me. I made sure to love Watson extra in front of them to rub it in.
To finish off our journey in trampoline building and disposal, we took all the old parts to the recycling center this afternoon. I told the kids that we could go to lunch with whatever money we made from recycling. We loaded up all the parts -just like a loving family would, and away we went. We each made our best guesses as to how much money we would get. I guessed 10, Emma 25, Jordyn 32, Ethan 20 and Jared 18.37 (he actually took the time to come up with an equation based on a guess for the weight and a guess for the price per pound). We drove the truck up onto the scale while it was full and then the foolio that was supposed to be helping was trying to have a conversation on his cell phone at the same time and about killed me when he just threw some of the legs and they bounced off a washing machine and I had to jump out of the way. We weighed the truck again now empty of all the parts and then went in to collect our treasure. Drum roll please.........we made.........15 dollars......and......40 cents! We didn't even make enough to feed a family of 5 but it was a fun and educational process.
I tried to convince Jared that were using "price is right" rules. The one closest to the price without going over wins. He refused to except those terms and deemed himself the winner. His prize? Having his picture taken with the money. haha he hates getting his picture taken. He was really close though and I concur that he won.
Since I forgot to take any pictures of the process, I snapped one real quick on my phone so we could admire our handy work for generations to come :)
One of these days I'll get to posting about girls camp, next time for sure!



No comments:
Post a Comment