Last week was supposed to be my first week in Jordyn's class as a volunteer. The teacher had to cancel because she wasn't going to be in the class. I thought she probably just got wet feet and realized what she had done. Not the case. I got to go in today and enjoyed myself. The students call me "Jordyn's mom" instead of my name, which I love. My goal when I'm volunteering in the class is to make everyone feel awesome about themselves. Not in a platitude kinda way or a 2 + 2= 5 you're so awesome - because it doesn't and you need to know how to do it right, but you can still feel awesome while you learn the right way. I even made a new friend. His name is Douglas. I was just there to go around and help the students with their work while the teacher was doing pull outs. I spent some of the time with 2 boys teaching them a much faster way to alphabetize their spelling words. My new friend loved my help. He raised his hand later and the teacher tried to help him and he asked for me. Awww. Then later I was kneeling on the floor next to another student's desk and he said there was an empty chair I could use so I didn't have to kneel on the floor. He's got the chivalry gene.
The students then had to work on an opinion piece. It was how they felt about school uniforms. She had everyone put a check mark next to how they felt. Yes, No or Unsure. I even got to vote. I said unsure. My new friend came up to me after and said that he was going to change my mind and get me to say no. lol Jordyn had put unsure on hers and after he came up to her and said he was glad she put unsure instead of yes. He then turned to me and said: "good thing or I would have to get all jalapeño up in her business." Serious entertainment!
When I was leaving, I walked past the janitor closet and there were a couple of guys in there quoting Napoleon Dynamite. I left with an even bigger smile on my face. Awesome sauce!
Before I left for the school our piano teacher and friend came over to practice on my piano. She only has a keyboard. If I had the money, I would buy her a piano because it is so sad that she doesn't have one. Well, it was my gain today. She's been very nervous because she has a paying job with the high school choir and they have a big competition coming up at another high school and she's not used to playing on pianos. She has been going around and playing at everyones house who own a piano. This was her second time at my house and I'm in love. I think I decided that I want to pay someone to just come play my piano while I study. Listening to recorded music is just not the same. I got to work on my Sanctification study while she played seriously beautiful songs. I usually have a hard time thinking while listening to music like that because I would rather listen intently to the music, but I was able to keep it background in my mind and it filled my soul. I am feeling very spoiled today and I literally almost started crying when she told me she was done and leaving. "But wait, no, you can't go. Are you sure you practiced long enough?" We almost had a hostage situation.
Meanwhile…..my apples sit untouched! Dang, I've got to get on that soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment