Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Power of Cookies

I've eluded to and talked briefly about a certain family situation that led to estrangement.  I try really hard to not get too specific about things that involve others members of my family not included in the immediate unit.  Maybe I've lost my ability to filter, or maybe it's an appropriate journey to share.  Doing something like this is always tricky because we all view events through our own lens and getting a peek inside someone else's involved in  the same event can be revealing in either a good or a bad way.  Hopefully this in not the latter.  

Our talks in Sacrament meeting today where on prayer and forgiveness.  Our lesson in yw was on repentance.  There was a talk by President Uchtdorf used today - it's the "stop it" talk - that talk has also been used in an anti-bullying message that just went viral.  The atonement and forgiveness were perfectly paired together messages.  Prayer is always important and always fits with every topic.  

Yesterday I was at the baptism of my sweet and adorable niece, Brooke.  
 How did this journey of forgiveness, the atonement and prayer begin?  Here's where I wish I were a master scriptorian  and had all kinds of things stored up in my brain to pull out, but I don't so you are just getting the un referenced version.  It started with a mighty change of heart.  I've talked about this change of heart and one of the ways to get one - Family History.  It also comes by petitioning to the Lord - prayer.  You also have to be willing to act - take the steps necessary for this change to occur- be repentant.  

Two years before the baptism of my niece was the baptism of her brother.  We were estranged from the family at this time and were not invited.  We were hoping for an olive branch, but one was not extended.  We prayed and listened and waited for instruction from our Heavenly Father to help us know what he wanted us to do about this relationship.  Some things that came along that seemed like they would be an obvious thing we should do, we felt that it wasn't right so we kept waiting.  

What was the event that we finally got the Heavenly go ahead?  Christmas cookies.  Take the family over and deliver cookies and wish them a Merry Christmas.  How simple and cliche is that?  That couldn't possibly be the window that we were waiting for Heaven to open.  But when you ask, you've got to be willing to act.  So we did and it was hard and awkward,  but, look at the fruit that was born of that!
 It couldn't have been a better baptism.  The talks were great.  When we got to go be with just her ward,  and perform the baptism, Brooke's dad couldn't get into the font on his side because the door was locked.  When we changed rooms again to let another ward perform their baptism we listened to a couple of testimonies.  Nate's parents were first.  His dad so smoothly talked about the locked door and the necessary key that was needed to open it - like the priesthood.  They both talked about eternal families and being on this path together and helping each other out.  It was beautiful and we were blanketed in The Spirit.  The cousins sang I am a child of God and then I (the arguable cause of the estrangement) gave the closing prayer- there were plenty to choose from (my SIL had both of her sisters there, her dad, our BIL, my husband and some friends) so that gesture was not lost on me.  

What I'm most sad about is that I did not get a picture of Gma and Gpa with their missionary tags on.  They are serving a full time- at home- mission.  They are part of a pilot program so they are excited to figure out exactly what they will be spending their time doing.  We are grateful for their example to our family.  I, of course, had to put a plug in for using Family History as a tool to help give meaning and purpose and a chance for a change of heart to occur while working with those who have left the church and need a reason to return.  

How could I not be the spokesman for FH when it has done so much for me.  How could I not talk of doing the "carpentry" work of the Savior when I can testify to it's power.  How can we not reach with our oars in our rescue rowboats and do everything we can to help each other to return to our Father in Heaven's presence.  I could not testify that all hope is never lost.  How can I not encourage others to take on the challenge of having a mighty change of heart when I know that it's possible.  How can I not encourage others to pray and ask earnestly for guidance when I know we will receive it.  I could I not testify of listening to every prompting no matter how insignificant or silly it seems when I know that God's ways are not our ways.  How could I not encourage others to trust more fully the Lord because I know he guides us to exactly where we need to be and always provides a way.  Miracles surround us.  God's love surrounds us.  His guidance surrounds us if we can forgive others, If we can keep the commandments and be truly repentant - being meek and submissive, and pour out our hearts in supplication to Him in prayer.  
On our way home from the baptism the mountains were covered in mist.  It had me thinking of the  misty mountains song from the Hobbit.  No matter how much I begged for Jared to sing it to us (he has it memorized and sings it really well), he would not yield (because he's convinced that he can't sing-wich he can)!  I had to resort to plan B- plugging in the phone so it would play through the speakers the song I found on youtube.  Technology- I love technology- I love that misty mountain song almost as much as I love technology!  I also took the opportunity to try to sing that low. horribly. and loudly. to torture my son for not yielding to my wishes - I'm pretty sure he has forgiven me ;0)

Let us not forget that we all have to travel through the misty mountains and we should be there to help and lift and guide each other.  We have access to the light and illumination of the Savior.  The path has been marked and we just need to stay on it.  

No comments: