This is what 19 years of marriage looks like folks. Having surgery together and hanging out in 1 room in a bed while consuming drugs for 4 days together. I was starting to feel like the grandparent in Charlie and the Choc factory. My master plan for subjecting Nate to a chick flick marathon did not work out - at all! There is just too much technology these days to subject anyone to anything they don't want to. He claimed my shows were making his pain worse so I just gave him the tv and I watched all my BBC shows on the ipad with my noise canceling headphones and pretended he wasn't even in the room with me. :0) Ahhh, sweet, sweet bonding time together. lol We played a few rounds of "who's in more pain" and there may have been a couple of instances where we voted each other off the island. We decided that we have celebrated enough anniversaries and neither one of us is in any condition to do much of anything and between our 2 surgeries we could have gone on an awesome cruise with the entire family, so this is it. This was not a good year to decide to pay less out of pocket for our insurance, because, of course this would be the year that we both needed surgery. Honestly either way we pay obscene amounts of money for healthcare, but I digress.
My surgery was first and on Wednesday. I came home with a huge icepack on my thigh and I thought I looked like I had elephantiasis. According to the kids I was loopy and being difficult while Nate was trying to get me up the stairs to bed. In the recovery room when I finally woke up I was having a hard time breathing because I had a nasty cough and I was shivering. I still have a little of the cough left today. I guess they had to reposition me on the table after I had been intubated and so my throat got a little scraped up. The nurse also told me that I woke up fighting. Which cracks me up. The scrappy fighter is down deep in my psyche, apparently. I have had a few surgeries now, my jaw twice and my toes and an emergency eptopic pregnancy and I always remember counting down to fall asleep but I'm still always very confused when I regain consciousness. This time there was no counting or final pep talk, at least that I can recall, and I usually remember waking up and being confused, but not this time. I just remember the second time when I was shivering and couldn't stop coughing. Hopefully I didn't try to hit anyone or call out for some superhero to rescue me, that would be embarrassing. :0) Emma took Nate in for his surgery the next morning and the doctor told her that his hernia was massive. Usually there would be a tiny little incision for the repair, but it looks like he got gutted like a fish. His incision is huge and I, of course, included a picture of it. Hey, if I have to be grossed out, so can everyone else. Plus, if I put his on here there is no need for more gore so I don't need to put mine on there. I have 3 very small incisions in my hip so it's not that exciting anyway.
The kids were left to their own devises for 5 days. I was bragging about them and thinking they were doing a really great job until Nate ventured downstairs for the first time on Saturday morning. We have received a really great meal on Friday night with Beef enchiladas and Chicken enchiladas. What I didn't get was sauce that went with the enchiladas nor the guacamole that was there - I love guacamole! And, the kids left all the food out overnight. The kitchen was a disaster. All that good food completely wasted and not even enjoyed properly. What distracted the kids? The pool. We had been praying that the pool would be able to be turned on and working with just one visit from our pool guy instead of the multiple expensive visits that we've had every other year. That prayer was answered... for the most part. A bunch of tiles came off over the winter and so we need to rip them all off and put new ones on.....it never ends with a pool! But, the pool heated and is working other than that, so prayer answered. The pool just had too big of a draw on the kids so their brains shut down to everything else they were supposed to be doing. They still came running whenever we called and I should have had the presence of mind to remind them to put away the food and clean the kitchen. Oh well.
This is pretty awesome. This is the longest I have been in the upright seated position in 5 days. My hip is starting to hurt, so I'm gonna wrap this marathon post up. Sunday was Mother's day and the kids got me new pajamas and Jordyn made me the black necklace with a gem on it and Ethan used his "rambaldi bucks" (money he earns in class to buy items that his teacher gets at garage sales and auctions to bribe the kids into doing their work and behaving themselves) to buy me the super cool necklace that looks like it was made for the sole purpose of carrying Percocet around. What a thoughtful boy i've got. It was also my first time downstairs since the surgery. It was giving me an itch to be down there and not clean up....so I did.....and got in trouble :0) I have a horrible case of cabin fever and I keep finding ways to hold my crutches while trying to get laundry done and dishes put away. Desperation is the mother of all invention :0) It's also the way to get yelled at by your family, but what's a type A girl like me supposed to do? Sit around helpless? Never! So there you have it. What a 19 year anniversary looks like, which is, btw, today :0)




No comments:
Post a Comment