I am off to a fabulous start with the New Testament. It is different studying this time because the manual goes over the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John in harmony. So, you don't just start with Matthew and start reading. There are scripture blocks that deal with history or principles that you study in unison from all 4 gospels. You still end up reading the entire NT, but you read it in a way that brings the whole story of events together.
This morning I read something by the Prophet Joseph Smith (Smith teachings, p 181) when he was thinking of what it would have been like to be in the council of Heaven. The feelings he must have felt when the Savior stepped forward and said "here am I, send me." After wondering about this he said "But wait. I stand now in the present. What of this day? Do I sanction my Savior here? The war is not yet over but merely moved to mortal battlegrounds. What of the weapon of testimony here? Do I wield it with power in His cause? Of what worth is previous valiance if I falter here? He is God, the Son of God. I sanctioned his appointment then. What of now?"
I'm not in 1 Thessalonians 5 yet, however it is a powerful chapter of scriptures. This water filled heart on the path leading to my home reminded me once again of the love God has for his children. Some highlights from the chapter:
5 Ye are all the a children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
8 But let us, who are of the day, be a sober, putting on theb breastplate of c faith and love; and for an helmet, the d hope of salvation.
14 Now we exhort you, brethren, a warn them that are b unruly,c comfort the d feebleminded, e support the f weak, be patient toward all men.
It's time for me to work on my breastplate of faith and love. To be patient towards all men and in everything give thanks. I am grateful for faithful people around me. I am always looking for those whom I can "hitch my wagon" to when the time comes. Those who I know are strong so that together we can become even stronger.
When I went on my walk this morning, after taking note of the heart on my doorstep, I came across my little friend that was getting a ride to school instead of the bus. He made my heart smile. He is running for vice president of his class. Apparently my Ethan was supposed to be making a sign for himself, but I never heard anything about it. Hmmm.
It reminded me that we all have greatness within us and it's our job to help each other find it. To help each other remember our divine heritage. Where we came from, why we are here and where we are going. And do all these things in faith and love.
“The Father of Jesus [in the spirit] is our Father also. Jesus Himself taught this truth, when He instructed His disciples how to pray: ‘Our Father which art in heaven,’ etc. Jesus, however, is the firstborn among all the sons of God—the first begotten in the spirit and the only begotten in the flesh. He is our elder brother, and we, like Him, are in the image of God. All men and women are in the similitude of the universal Father and Mother, and are literally the sons and daughters of Deity.” (First Presidency [Joseph F. Smith, John R. Winder, Anthon H. Lund], Messages of the First Presidency, 4:203.)



No comments:
Post a Comment