Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The most wonderful day of all days....or not

Yesterday my son brought home this nifty little kit from school.  They had a nifty man from the energy company come and give a nifty little speech about conservation and mother earth.  Golly, I'm sure sad I missed it.  I may have had a wee bit of over reactionary comment when I saw his goodies;  "Oh, how nice, a commi kit."

Now, as many global warming believers believe, we should do everything we can to protect mother earth - at all cost.  Me, being a "God is the creator" of all and we are just the stewards of this earth He gave us.  He indeed gave it to us - Humans.  He intended for His children to live here.  He knows the beginning from the end.  He knows what technology we are going to come across.  He expects us to have honest, real, truth seeking questions about how to care for this earth we've been given.  Not have an agenda and a way to control the people and a money making scheme.  My problem is when people start saying "the science in settled" and things like "global warming deniers should be thrown in jail."  You know? For the greater good.  We have to protect the planet from such heathens.  The very first earth day in 1970 they were talking about global cooling and all the nifty things they were going to try - to you know - outsmart God.  I mean, don't get me wrong.  Flooding parts of the earth by melting the icecaps sure did sound like a nifty idea at the time (now we have to save them)  Too bad nobody cared about the polar bears at the time. You know. The one polar bear trapped on a minuscule chunk of ice that we hear about all the time now.  Excuse me while I wipe away a tear for the utter lack of love back then towards the poor polar bear.....never mind the people who would loose homes or die because of all the flooding.  Good thing we've got a handle on this whole warming cooling thing - and you know - picked our favorite animals to care about - usually at the expense of people.  It's totally awesome.  So, you can see how excited I was to receive this nice little kit from the government run energy company.  I looked on the bottom of the box to see if a picture of the president was included to hang on our wall at home.  (I'm sure NSA and IRS will be saving this post on their hard drive- again, super awesome! I mean, who doesn't want to be flagged as a domestic terrorist? It's all the rage, you know?)
Now, for the exciting bit of news.  You can save a whopping 62.00.  In 1 year, you say?  Well.....not exactly.  Ok, Ok, it's got to be 2 years?  Nope.  You've got to read that pesky fine print.  It's really not made for us simpletons to understand.  Luckily my brain hasn't been infected by common core yet and I can still do some simple math equations.

So according to the packaging this saving occurs with 3 hours of use a day throughout the 11,000 usage hours of the curly bulb of earth saving wonder.  Get a pencil out.  Are you ready?  I'll try to go real slow like.
12,000 (hours) / 3 (hours a day) = 4,000 (days)
4,000 (days) / 365 (days in a year) = 10.95 years
Now, you can see by the box that they rounded that up to 11.  Yea, they can do math too!
OK, here's where it get's fun.  Start counting up that money.  We can have us a real nice party with all that savings....ooops, I mean we are totally doing this to save the earth.
11 (years) / 62.00 (total savings for life of the bulb) = .177
Oh my goodness that's amazing!  18 whole cents.  Woot Woot!
Now, if my electric bill is directly related to how much electricity I'm using - or how much I'm killing the planet - wouldn't this tell you that you are doing diddly squat for the planet or your pocket book.  Now let's not even go into proper discarding procedures for the earth friendly lighting apparatus full 'o mercury.
Even better news.  These super bulbs that are better than -so last years technology- cfl, is currently not available to buy.  You can only get them in these super awesome kits.  Oh, btw. Super love the sand timer for the shower (in the picture of the kit).  I mean, how many times have I sat here and wondered how I could get a 2 minute shower and want to time it....especially while using the no-flow shower head of non-exsistant water pressure.....you can't get the shampoo out of your hair with one of those things in less than 2 minutes.
So, where is this super rant leading me to?  Now, come on.  You've got to know I'm about to get biblical.  I spent 19 months studying the Old Testament.  I loved it.  I want a bunch of Rabbis for friends so I can learn even more.  You know what the major theme was?  False idols.  I've had these thoughts before about global warming being a religion, but it is becoming so obvious that you don't even have to have had a serious study of the old testament to get it.  Things are spiraling out of control at such a rapid pace that it's hard to catch your breath.  An example of the rate of spiraling; It was just 8 years ago you could be for traditional families and not be chased out of town.  You could deny global warming and just be called ignorant and stupid not having (at least in the open) calling for jailing such deniers.

Well, all of this got me thinking about a little story.  It is found in the book of Daniel, like the picture quotes.
Starting in Chapter 3




10 Thou, O king, hast made a decree, that every man that shall hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of musick, shall fall down and worship the golden image:
 11 And whoso falleth not down and worshippeth, that he should be cast into the midst of a burning fiery furnace.
 12 There are certain Jews whom thou hast aset over the affairs of the province of Babylon, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego; these men, O king, have not regarded thee: they serve not thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
 13 ¶Then Nebuchadnezzar in his rage and fury commanded to bring Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego. Then they brought these men before the king.
 14 Nebuchadnezzar spake and said unto them, Is it true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, do not ye serve my gods, nor worship the golden image which I have set up?
 15 Now if ye be ready that at what time ye hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of musick, ye fall down and worship the image which I have made;well: but if ye worship not, ye shall be cast the same hour into the midst of a burning fiery furnace; and who is that God that shall deliver you out of my hands?
 16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not acareful to answer thee in this matter.
 17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to adeliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
 18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will notaserve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
 19 ¶Then was Nebuchadnezzar full of fury, and the aform of his visage was changed against Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego:therefore he spake, and commanded that they should heat the furnace one seven times more than it was wont to be heated.
 20 And he commanded the most mighty men that were in his army to bind Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, and to castthem into the burning fiery furnace.
 21 Then these men were bound in their coats, their hosen, and their hats, and their other garments, and were cast into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.
 22 Therefore because the king’s commandment was urgent, and the furnace exceeding hot, the flame of the fire slew those men that took up Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego.
 23 And these three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, fell down bound into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.
 24 Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonied, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king.
 25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no ahurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.
 26 ¶Then Nebuchadnezzar came near to the mouth of the burning fiery furnace, and spake, and said, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, ye servants of the most high God, come forth, and comehither. Then Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, came forth of the midst of the fire.
 27 And the princes, governors, and captains, and the king’s counsellors, being gathered together, saw these men, upon whose bodies the afire had no power, nor was an hair of their head singed, neither were their coats bchanged, nor the smell of fire had passed on them.
 28 Then Nebuchadnezzar spake, and said, Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, who hath sent his aangel, and delivered his servants that btrusted in him, and chave changed the king’s word, and yielded their bodies, that they might not serve nor worship any god, except their own God.
 29 Therefore I make a decree, That every people, nation, and language, which speak any thing amiss against the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, shall be acut in pieces, and their houses shall be made a dunghill: because there is no other God that can bdeliver after this sort.
 30 Then the king apromoted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, in the province of Babylon.

So, (I seem to use "so" a lot) where does this leave us, or how does this fit this story?  What kind of "sacrifices" are we expected to make to "mother earth"? Well, we have to pay taxes on imaginary things like carbon and air and the latest.....cow farts!  Absolutely true about the cow farts.  Some birds we are allowed to kill with wind turbines, how you decide which animals it's ok to kill, is a mystery.  We are expected to use expensive light bulbs that hurt your eyes and are ugly, to show our dedication to lowering our carbon foot print.  We should give up coal and buy electric cars....which btw....how does one make said electric cars....with electricity...produced by coal!  We should not have as many kids because that is irresponsible and contributing to overpopulation.  We should burn food to put in our cars.  Let me say that again.  We should burn food.  Is it any wonder people hate us when we are so self righteous as to burn food for transportation when people don't have enough food to eat to live throughout the world.  We should use 1 square of toilet paper and 2 minutes worth of water.  I should give up meat because, well, animals are the superior species and they shouldn't be eaten.  We should kill babies so as not to overpopulate - which raises our carbon footprint. Maybe we will start using the killing of babies to help it rain.  Sounds like a good idea, no?  We should kill old people that we deem to have no value...while we are at it, the mentally ill as well.  There are lots of sacrifices to this earth god. 

Here's the thing.  If you believe in an earth god and you want to make sacrifices to it (other than the killing ones), have at it.  I'm not gonna stop you.  I am also not going to let my government force me into worshiping too.  Call me crazy, but I thought it's why we came to America in the first place.  Freedom of Religion.  Like Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego, even if my God will not deliver me  from the fiery furnace, I will not fall down and worship an idol.  Isn't it interesting that my silly 'ole bible full of fairy tails  could so accurately describe the events of the day.  The more we believers stand our "weak minded" ground, refusing to worship the god of man, the louder and more upset they become and when they can no longer call us names, they finally start firing up the furnace to deal with the dissenters.  

Here's the good news.  Nebuchadnezzar saw the light when the boys were not burned up....not fully because he still wanted to cut people up, but he was getting there.  They were delivered by their God and it bore witness to the king.  We have to be courageous and stand our ground.  We have to be like Captain America.  Oh yes, I'm working that in here too.  OK, I just love him.  Not just because he is gorgeous, but for everything he stands for.  I also love that the only thing he needs (other than his modified body of hotness) is his shield - a shield of faith.  The Lord promises throughout the scriptures that he will go before our face.  He will take those first blows for us.  The rest of our armor has to be strong and in place, but we can have the added protection of the shield because we might loose that shield temporarily and be left vulnerable.  I just saw CA 2 and it was completely about everything I've been talking and eluding to in this post....the data mining thru the healthcare system and the eduction system, the policing of thought, the one sided tolerance...peace thru violence, all of it goes under the god of man idol worship.  The overreaching arm of the government acting in a "what's best for the collective" mentality.  

There's a perfect line in there about it taking courage to protect billions of people at the expense of millions and the response to that was that it takes courage not to.  Freedom comes at a price.  The other thing that I really loved was the interaction between old friends who are enemies now.  Cap reminds him saying "you know me!"  It is our responsibility to let our brothers and sisters know, that we know them.  We have to keep reminding them who they are, where they came from and where they are going.  We are probably going to be taking some serious blows from them and not being treated well but we can't give up, even if we have to say, "just finish it, I'm with you to the end."  

I'm not there yet.  I think that's why I keep thinking about it and writing about it.  I want to be there, I just don't know how to get there.  I think it's because I haven't fully realized that I can't get there on my own.  It's not a natural talent I was born with.  This is a gift given by the Holy Ghost thru the atonement.  It is something that will have to be given to me.  

So, in the meantime, to help me make it through the rough days when I wonder how we are ever going to survive the trials of this life.  The trials of a hard hearted and stiff-necked people...the oppression that we are willingly allowing to be inflicted upon us.....because I can't set sail for the America's because there is nowhere to set sail to.  I can sing my new favorite song that I've been torturing my family with for 3 days from another movie I really enjoyed....along with the original movie it goes to.  
"Let's go fly a kite"

btw, that was 1 rant, 1 bible reference and 2 movie references including a song, wrapped up into 1.  Awesome!

No comments: