Monday, September 30, 2013

The Way To My Heart

This post started out this morning because my NT Study Guide was on the wrong chapter.  I had been going through some old chapters to find some principles that I needed for our family mission plan and my talk about it.  In this wrong chapter, I found a quote by President Benson that I know I read because it was underlined, but I didn't remember having read it just a few days ago.  I realized that this quote must have been the starting point of where I decided to take my talk without my even realizing it ( I am absorbing a lot of information between the hours of 6-7am). 

“The world largely ignores the first and great commandment—to love God—but talks a lot about loving their brother. …
“… But only those who know and love God can best love and serve his children, for only God fully understands his children and knows what is best for their welfare. Therefore, one needs to be in tune with God to best help his children. …
“Therefore, if you desire to help your fellowmen the most, then you must put the first commandment first.
“When we fail to put the love of God first, we are easily deceived by crafty men who profess a great love of humanity. … (CR, Oct. 1967, p. 35.)

Thinking about this quote and making it into a post reminded me of a picture that I took of my husband last night.  He was cleaning the fridge.  My husband knows me and knows the way to my heart.  It's service.  I hate that darn fridge and I usually get around to cleaning it because I hate a dirty fridge, but I've had too many other things begging for my attention, so I've let it go.  Now, was it completely altruistic that he cleaned the fridge?  Nope.  He was frustrated that he couldn't put something away because the fridge was a mess.  Mostly because of the vegetable explosion because I need so darn much to juice.  Also the "meals" I make for myself are a few servings each so there are lots of left overs in there too.  Lots of expired items as well.  Do I care what his initial motives were?  Nope.  I got a clean fridge and he knew that it made me super happy in the process, because I told him it did.  

The other picture of him was because he was killing me with his redneckedness.  He was working hard on saturday in is camo shirt.  I needed to take Ethan to a friends house and go to the store so he threw on a shirt to come with me.  A plaid shirt over the camo.   I had Jordyn unbuttoning it so that we could see the fulness of his awesome style!  Yep, he's mine <3 p="">


No comments: