President Eyring also said this in his "O Remember, Remember" talk: My point is to urge you to find ways to recognize and remember God’s kindness. It will build our testimonies. You may not keep a journal. You may not share whatever record you keep with those you love and serve. But you and they will be blessed as you remember what the Lord has done.
When I wrote this, I didn't let myself take more than a couple of minutes. I don't like things like this getting a life of their own where it makes the task seem too difficult. I was not waxing eloquent. Don't let the words you need distract you from your intent. Words will never seem adequate. Just let go and let it be what it will.
FB can be a useful thing sometimes. Luckily my long lost friend and I are friends on this site. I just privately messaged her my letter and I got a response back very quickly as well. Hopefully she was able to feel as much joy as I have over this experience. I highly recommend it.
I just realized that I missed your birthday. Happy belated birthday
One more thing..... I taught a lesson in yw today about gratitude. I challenged each of my yw to write a thank you letter to someone that has been influential in their lives. I picked you as one of the people to write to.
It has been a very long time since we have had any real communication, but I wanted to let you know how much our friendship in high school meant to me. I really can’t believe how incredibly blessed I was to have been placed on a path with you. I was on a path to a future that would have led to misery and despair....at least not a path that would have led me to the fullest potential of the joy that can be had here upon the earth. Your willingness to be my friend was the single biggest blessing I had in my life at the time. I was introduced to the gospel in a way that let me take it at my own pace. I never felt like a project. I only felt love and acceptance. I learned what being a Mormon was about by being around you and your family and I knew that was what I wanted for myself. Because of your example, I knew that kind of life was possible.
I can’t even imagine my world without the gospel. I can’t believe that the girl hanging out with my Mormon friends in high school is now teaching other yw the gospel and to be examples. It’s hard to wrap my brain around sometimes. I still chuckle when I think of the attitude I used to have about Mormons and Never becoming one. My days with my Mormon friends are often mentioned in lessons.
I am so grateful for the opportunity to know my Heavenly Father. To be instructed by living prophets, to be able to gain strength from the Book of Mormon. I have been given the opportunity to learn and grow and become more like my Savior. The line of posterity that this single event created is too much to ponder sometimes. The effect that it has on my future posterity and all those in my family that came before me as I do their sacred work. It is breathtaking to ponder. You my friend, are apart of that legacy.
Thank you from the deepest part of my heart. I thank you for all eternity.
You’re friend for always,
Heather
I too treasure that friendship. I know that Heavenly Father was looking out for me when he directed me towards you. I also know that the ying/ yang of our relationship is what made us both who we are. I often wish I could go back to those days.... and then I change my mind. . It freaks me out a little that you teach young woman, but then I think oh no... She is perfect for it. I miss you a lot. Thanks for being such a great friend and an awesome person! Nate is one very lucky guy!"
Isn't life good? Isn't God great? Can you believe we were thinking and talking about each other on the same day many miles and what seems like lifetimes apart? Miraculous! Nothing short of it!
President Monson said this : My beloved friend President Gordon B. Hinckley said, “When you walk with gratitude, you do not walk with arrogance and conceit and egotism, you walk with a spirit of thanksgiving that is becoming to you and will bless your lives.”
I'm in the quoting mood, so another one by President Monson :We can lift ourselves and others as well when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues. Someone has said that “gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.” 8
...The English author Aldous Huxley wrote, “Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.” 10
To that I say, don't let that be you. Claim the joy and love God has to offer a grateful heart. Express it to everyone and to God and see what happens to your heart, you wont regret it, I promise!
Now.....who should my next letter go to? :0)

No comments:
Post a Comment